Sunday, July 29, 2012

Arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, goat cheese and penne!

I went searching on pinterest for a pasta dish that I could make with the big jar of sun-dried tomatoes I just bought at Costco, and came across Skinny Ms blog. She has some great low fat recipes. The one I made is called Mediterranean Penne, and although I'm weary about trying recipes I've found on Pinterest, I've made a lot of yucky ones, I went ahead and gave it a shot. It was freakin' delicious! Like, I had two bowls and considered a third delicious! But seeing how I'm getting in a wedding dress in less than 3 weeks, I opted to save the third for lunch tomorrow. I can't wait to wake up!




Ingredients
  • 5 cups cooked whole-grain penne pasta, cook until al dente
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts
  • 2 cups baby spinach (I used 1 cup organic spinach, 1 cup organic arugula)
  • 1 cup fat-free feta cheese (I used 1 cup goat cheese, and it wasn't fat free)
Directions

Cook penne according to package directions. Add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to a large skillet, and saute garlic over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add to skillet the sun-dried tomatoes, black pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes, and continue to saute 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Add cooked penne and remaining tablespoon of oil; toss to coat, cover, and cook on low an additional 2 minutes. Add pine nuts and baby spinach, toss to combine. Turn off heat, cover and allow spinach to slightly wilt, about 2 minutes.
Sprinkle on feta cheese and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment