Sunday, January 8, 2012

"Hawaiian" Chicken in a crock pot.

Well, I fell on the "Hawaiian Chicken in a Crockpot" bandwagon. Everyone on pinterest seems to be doing it. It's simple and cheap, so why not? Before I go on, let me add that I can't believe I am sharing crock pot recipes, I am officially a MOM. I have a dust buster too....and I just cut my hair short....and I drive a Chevy Tahoe...alright, enough stereotyping.



Ingredients:
4-6 frozen chicken breasts (I prefer thighs, but I did use breasts)
1-bottle Archer Hawaiian BBQ sauce
1-20oz can crushed or diced pineapple (drained)

Dump it all in your crock pot. Cook for 6 hours on LOW. In the last 10 mins, shred the chicken with a fork so it can really absorb all the flavors. That's all folks.

I served mine on top of brown rice with a salad on the side.


It was good, not great. Not sure what all the hype is about on pinterest. The chicken tasted like dark meat, it was so tender and juicy, but the sauce lacked something. It was sweet and that's it. No spice, no smokiness, no real defined flavor. If you decide that you MUST try this, than add some flavor to it. Maybe some cayenne or ginger. Or, if you have simple palate, then this just might be the recipe for you! 



2 comments:

  1. I've seen a similar recipe that used the canned pineapple with a packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix. Also had chunks of red pepper and onion in it for more depth of flavor. I'm afraid of cooking chicken for so long that it turns mushy. I'll stick to an hour or so in the oven for boneless chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live very far away from a Target where the bbq sauce is found, so I went with Lawrey's Hawaiian Marinade (from Walmart) and it tastes amazing. It has more of an asian taste than a barbeque taste, but I loved it and it has spices in it that give it some more flavor!

    ReplyDelete