Friday, January 6, 2012

Wanna see a Favela? As in, a slum, in Rio?

Now you can! I was in Brazil a couple of years ago, and this American dude, who had lived in Brazil all his life, was offering tours of Rochina, a favela in Brazil. I couldn't believe it. The only thing I knew about favelas was what I had seen in the movie "City of God." The movie was named after an actual favela in Brazil, the rival favela of Rochina! So, when a lad at my hostel asked me if I wanted to tour the favela on my birthday, the obvious answer was, "hells yes!"

The slums were exactly how I pictured them to be, dirty, smelly, and dangerous. Yes, there were young men walking around with pistols in their pants. Yes, everything was stolen, including their electricity. Yes, it was scary, and intriguing, and WAY better than seeing Cristo Redentor!



If you want to see more pictures of the favela, Rochina, or my time in Brazil, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment