Saturday, January 7, 2012

Stenciling

I discovered how easy stenciling was when I was decorating my daughters nursery. I wanted to put something pretty on the wall above her crib, but I was too scared to hang anything in the event it might fall on her while she slept. I know, I'm super paranoid. So, I looked around and found wall decals, and stencils. I've heard that wall decals come off the wall easily, especially if your wall is textured, so stenciling was the obvious choice.

After shopping around, etsy once again came to the rescue. I found these awesome lotus stencils.

I ordered the medium size, got it in the mail a few days later, and went to town! It was stressful at first, making sure the paint didn't run out of the lines. But, in the end, it came out really beautiful, both times! Since we just moved, I used the stencil for her new room too!

Here are some tips:

1). The instructions say to use a roller brush, but the guy at Lowes suggested a ponce brush. That way you can literally "pounce" it on. It was only $7 so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did, it made the job so much easier.

2). It's hard to get the stencil to lay flat against the wall. So, along with double-side taping it in various places, I held down each section with my hand as I painted it.



3). Don't put too much paint on your pounce brush, it can cause bleeding. This happened to me the second time I did it. At first it bugged the crap out of me and I had plans to fix it with a tiny artist brush, but realized you couldn't notice the imperfections from far away, so I left it.

Wa-la! Your stenciling is complete, and your room looks fabulous! If it doesn't just paint right over it, and start again!







No comments:

Post a Comment