Monday, January 9, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup with Ginger!

I love tomato basil soup on cold rainy days like this. So, I went to my "go to" online recipe book, Allrecipes, and found this awesome recipe! Because I'm a ginger fanatic, I modified it a bit by adding an inch of freshly grated ginger as it simmered. It was deee-licious!

Oh, and don't forget the grilled cheese. I made mine on 8 grain bread with provolone cheese (gouda is yummy too)! So, do yourself a favor, and stop by the store on your way home from work and make this for the whole family to enjoy!




Ingredients

  • 4 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and diced (I didn't peel mine)
  • 4 cups tomato juice
  • 14 leaves fresh basil
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream (I used half n half)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 inch grated ginger (optional)

Directions

  1. Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the stock pot.
  2. Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil.



No comments:

Post a Comment