Monday, January 2, 2012

Kale Chips

I'm sure y'all have heard all about them by now, but have you mastered them yet? Believe or not, these easy, nutritional snacks are hard to perfect. You need just the right amount of cook time to get the perfect crunchiness! After several trials and errors, I think I've got it down.

-First start with a bunch of organic kale. Don't forget to buy organic, kale is listed as one of the "dirty dozens."

-Wash, chop and dry the kale thoroughly. Wet kale causes uneven cooking.

-Lay kale on cookie sheet and sprinkle with sea salt and olive oil. I then like to toss the kale to make sure each piece gets coated.

-Place in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. I've found that 11 minutes works best in my gas oven. Check it frequently, it cooks fast. When the edges of the kale are brown, your kale chips are ready! They should be crunchy, if they are soggy, they were either not dry enough or over seasoned with oil.

When done right, they taste like potato chips and are impossible to stop eating once you start! Get creative and use other seasonings if you like. I think something spicy on them would be delicious. Next time, I might use sesame oil instead of olive oil to add an Asian flare!






No comments:

Post a Comment